Tuesday, July 8, 2008

This is me!


Hi ya'll! My name is Sydney Camden Scott. I was born and raised in Glendale, California which was about twenty minutes away from Downtown Los Angeles. I went to the local high school, Glendale High School where I was very active in my student body with participating in soccer, swimming, cheerleading, and activities coordinator for my class. Then I graduated moving to Santa Cruz where I attended UC Santa Cruz majoring in American Studies and playing intramural soccer. After graduating in 2006, I got a job working with autistic children in a public school setting. I absolutely fell in love with my students and the beautiful atmosphere of Santa Cruz. I also learned how to surf while in Santa Cruz. This past month I have been in the process of moving down from SC to San Diego because I have been admitted to the Multiple Credential Program for Fall 2008. It was a bittersweet move because I will definitely miss my students, my friends, co-workers and the life I had created in Santa Cruz, however, I am extremely excited to be on pursuit to becoming a teacher!

With aspects to technology, I have taken a couple classes over my educational journey, however for the past couple years I have actually not owned a computer...I know hard to believe huh? However I have just purchased an Apple Mac which I am pretty familiar with, so I think I will be okay. I have yet to purchase the new Vista Program but I will be soon. But, thankfully I do learn easily so I am up for any challenge that computers, inevitably will give me.

Growing up in Los Angeles and going to school in Santa Cruz as an American Studies Major which is based on learning about diverse cultures I have always desired that with my views of teaching will automatically be consumed with the as many different cultures as possible with teaching it to students while learning more myself, as it states in the mission statement, "teaching as a life-long learning process." I believe the state of California is very diversified which makes it unique and exciting for people around the world to gravitate towards and why it is extremely important to be educated with all of these differences. Which also it is why its important to start at a young age in order to rid of the "fears" of someone different. What struck me the most about CSUSM was that the word commitment in the mission statement when it came to diversity, educational equity, and social justice is what made me desire to come here more because I am committed to enrich the students I come into contact with as much culture and life as possible!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

You Rock too! You sit near me and I love the way you know how to have fun and laugh. It is such a gift:) I majored in American studies also! See you next week.
ROCK ON.
Lorraine